Saturday, May 3, 2014

Star Cafe - Tangy tomato soup noodles

On a recent trip to Hong Kong, I was staying in Tsim Sha Tsui and decided to check out eateries in the area. I'd heard about Star Café - an old school café that was in a rather hidden location, and famous for their tomato soup based noodles. Following directions provided on some blogs, I went on my way.

On Kimberley Road, locate The Mira hotel, then enter Champagne Court B next to it. Walk through to the end of the row of shops.


On the right is a set of stairs. Walk down the stairs to the underground level, where you will see more shops. As I was there at 8plus in the morning, most of the shops weren't open yet. Walk straight on, Star Café is at the end.



Not many tables are available inside the café. The whole middle table seemed to be a dedicated workspace for the staff to chop up the fresh tomatoes used for their signature tomato soup noodles.


According to the menu, you can choose between just tomato or tomato and egg for the soup base. For the carbo, choose between macaroni, bee hoon, mee sua, instant noodles or spaghetti.


My choice - 番茄捞蛋牛肉面 (instant noodles with tomato, egg and beef). Fresh tomatoes are used for the soup here, as opposed to canned tomatoes.


The bowl did not seem very big, but the portion was very filling, probably due to the thick texture of the soup. It was very delicious though, and while there was an abundance of tomatoes, the soup was tangy but not over the top.


This café will not probably go into my list of must-eats every time I visit Hong Kong, but I can definitely see myself coming back from time to time.

* * * * * * * * * *

Star Café (星座冰室)
http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=6428
Add: Shop No. 36, Champagne Court, 16-20 Kimberley Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
尖沙咀金巴利道16-20號香檳大廈地庫36號舖
Tel: 2724 4408
Open: Mon-Sat, 8am-9.30pm

No comments: