Saturday, July 30, 2011

Australia Dairy Company - Egg lovers unite!

One eatery I always find myself going back to again and again is this little gem located in Jordan - the Australia Dairy Company.


But for all my repeated visits, I've never found out how it is in any way "Australian". The food is as local as can be, and I read somewhere that Hokkaido milk is used in the shop. And rows of Kowloon Dairy milk line the shelves in the fridge. Hmm.


Inside, the efficient waiters move about briskly in the cramped environment so typical of cha chan tengs. The speed at which they work can be somewhat infectious - while no one would actually blatantly chase you out of the cafe, you may feel the urge to quickly finish up your food and leave, in order not to get in anyone's way. This is perhaps why the long queues outside always move quickly. So if you see a waiting crowd, don't be put off, you won't need to wait long to get seated.


The menu is simple enough - toast, eggs, macaroni with ham, coffee or tea - or perhaps too simple for some, who don't find the food here particularly special.

But I love it. I will admit that the offering is nothing spectacular, but sometimes, the simple things in life are the best. And isn't it a greater challenge to make familiar everyday food taste delicious?

Soupy macaroni topped with strips of ham is a standard breakfast fare for the locals but it's not what I'm here for.


What I'm here for are the scrambled eggs! Smooth and creamy, not too moist and not too dry. It's heaven.


The steamed milk and steamed egg puddings are also popular here, but they are a bit of an acquired taste if you are not used to such desserts. Order one or two to share, don't get one on your own. :)


Here're the set meals as listed in the menu below:
  • Quick meal (available all day): Bread with butter, double eggs, hot/cold milk (add $2 for all other cold drinks) @ $26
  • Tea time (12.00pm to 11.00pm): Bread with butter, double eggs with ham, char siew soup pasta (I'm translating it literally, not sure what this is!), coffee or tea (add $2 for cold drinks) @ $30
  • Breakfast (7.30am to 12.00pm): Bread with butter, double eggs, macaroni with ham, coffee or tea (add $2 for cold drinks) @ $26
For the eggs, you get a choice of fried eggs (煎蛋) or scrambled eggs (炒蛋). Please go for the scrambled! :)


* * * * * * * * * *

Australia Dairy Company (澳洲牛奶公司)
http://www.openrice.com/english/restaurant/sr2.htm?shopid=90
Add: G/F, 47 Parkes Street, Jordan
         佐敦白加士街47號地下
Tel: 2730 1356
Open: 7.30am–11.00pm daily

6 comments:

David said...

Hi, does the menu come in English? I'm afraid I have some difficulty reading 'old' Chinese.

Sher said...

Hi David,

The menus plastered all over the walls and on the table tops will not typically come in English. But I do recall seeing a menu booklet with English placed at the entrance (hope I'm not wrong). In any case, the food items available will not stray too far from those I've featured here. :)

David said...

Hi Sher, thanks for the reply. One more question (if you don't mind)

One of your pics showed a menu in red, green and blue. So, does it mean that if I choose the blue option, I get all 4 items at HK$26?

Sher said...

Yes, the menu shows set meals, you get all the items listed. I've edited my post to add a translation of that menu, hope it helps! :)

David said...

Thanks much Sher! Looks like a very good deal, going by the current exchange rate (S$1 = HK$6.45)

Sher said...

Yea, the exchange rate has been very favourable to us this year. Tempting me to go HK again but the weather is terribly hot there now.